Sunday, April 22, 2012

Obama for America Florida Headquarters

Day Zero - Arrival
Eight hours, four hundred fifty-six miles, and thousands of bugs plastered to my windshield later, I have officially arrived in Tampa, Florida otherwise known as OFA Florida Headquarters! Don't worry bugs, your death will not be in vain once the president is re-elected. I am staying in supporter housing, which is when people who are Obama supporters volunteer to offer up their spare bedrooms to staff members. Back in 2008, I lived in supporter housing the entire time I worked on the campaign. It still astounds me the amount of generosity and comfort complete strangers have offered up to me! I am only in Tampa to train for the next two days, then Tuesday night, shipped off to my permanent location in Orlando! While in Tampa, I am staying with a wonderful woman named Stella who has an incredibly ornately furnished/decorated house. My setup here is unbelievable! I have a huge kind size bed, my own bathroom, private living room, small fridge, and flat screen tv. There is even a crystal chandelier in the bathroom! I can only hope that my living accommodations in Orlando come anywhere close to comparison.

Incredibly, not twenty minutes after I arrived, I received a call from OFA Ohio wanting to set up an interview for me as an RFD. Oops! Sorry Ohio, but you just happen to be about a month late jumping on the "Naomi is so amazing that we should totally hire her" train. Better luck next time. I definitely am not sad to be missing out on an Ohio winter!

In the words of a friend of mine, I feel "uncomfortably excited". I can't wait to see what and who will become part of my life in the next several months, but meeting the challenge of the unknown is completely terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. All this newness at once is definitely catapulting me out of my comfort zone. I'd better head off to sleep since I have to report for duty at headquarters tomorrow morning!

Sidenote: I decided to change the layout of the blog, since the subject matter is entirely different than my study abroad trip. I think the new look is a better match for my new grassroots job!

Pictures of the Day
My supporter housing bed

Beautiful antique furniture, crystal vases, and flat screen tv

Chandelier in my bathroom

Curtained window and more antique furniture




No comments:

Post a Comment